Friday, February 5, 2010

Bleu Cheese Pecan Crisps (& skiing today)

Rain was in the forecast pretty much all weekend, which really raises the suck factor for skiing, so I didn't sprint out of bed to head up skiing this morning. I kind of oozed out, puttered around the house for a couple of hours before checking the ski report. Did that look like sunshine?? I was definitely sprinting then! I didn't get there until after 1:00 pm but got in a good three hours skiing.

We've had an odd season this year-they got snow early and opened a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, then didn't get any more appreciable snow until January. That early of a season, we are doing other things, so this is only my third time up. As most season pass holders know, you have to show up a certain number of times to make a pass worth the bucks.

Working 4 10's is great, in winter I can ski on Fridays when there are no crowds or lift lines, but has its downside; unless you run into someone you know, you pretty much ride the lifts alone and ski alone. I did ride the lift and ski with ski instructor friends once today. I taught at White Pass for five years before deciding I'd get much more skiing in if I didn't teach, and quit. I've discovered that much of the reason I ski is it's social aspect which I will encounter tomorrow, along with crowds and lift lines.

This recipe comes from a cookbook called "Soup to Nuts" that I believe I bought years back when my kids were in school doing a fundraiser. Everybody I feed them to say they're addicting. Probably helps if you like bleu cheese. I had to take them away from Ron tonight-I made them for Superbowl this Sunday and want some left to take to the party. Might try to post whatever else I decide to take. The Ski-babes and buds have a huge Superbowl party. On the other hand, it's a great time to ski, because if everybody isn't home watching the Superbowl and partying, they're in the lodge watching it and partying, so the slopes are deserted.

Bleu Cheese Pecan Crisps


8 oz. Bleu Cheese
4 oz. unsalted butter
1 egg
1 tsp. finely ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 3/4 cup flour
Cream bleu cheese and butter in bowl. Add egg, pepper, pecans and flour; mix well. Shape into 1 1/2 inch diameter roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours to overnight-I'll be honest, I throw these puppies in the freezer for an hour, then pull them out and slice them. Slice 1/4 inch thick, place on ungreased sheet. Bake 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 4 dozen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails