Monday, January 4, 2010

More Than Grandma's Potato Soup

My Grandmother made great potato soup, which was especially good when we were sick. Thick, rich goodness. When I had my tonsils out, you know they promised you all the ice cream you could eat, and you really didn't want to eat anything. She made some potato soup, ran it through a blender, and saved my life! Ok, that's probably a little melodramatic, but it is a good memory. I've blogged about her cooking before. I took her recipe consisting of crisp bacon, potatoes, chopped onion, milk, salt and pepper, added some corn from the freezer, a shredded carrot, and cilantro. I make soups on Sunday night for my lunches, and I'm looking forward to this all week!

Recipe

5 strips of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
About 5 medium peeled diced potatoes
1/2 onion, diced
1 large grated carrot
Water to cover

Boil until the potatoes are nearly soft (I like it chunky, cook longer if you like a smoother consistency).
Add 1 cup of frozen corn
Stir in 1 cup of milk (or cream)
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro

My grandmother added about 1/2 stick of butter and stirred til it melted, but things like fat content and cholesterol let me add about a tablespoon!

I apologize for my photos, Ron isn't here this week and I have a crummy camera. I have hinted but Santa didn't bring one. He did bring me this, though:







This gadget aerates red wine. We discovered these in use when visiting Napa Valley last February and doing way too much tasting. This is for red wine. I drink mostly whites, and Ron felt rather bad. He said he looked all over the package and didn't see where it said that anywhere.That's actually what that circle at the bottom right  says, but we have friends who do drink red, so we'll get the use of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails