Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year!

I've been told I'm Irish/Welsh all my life and, being Irish, we have Corned Beef and Cabbage on New Years Day for a prosperous and healthy year. I've been working on my family tree on Ancestry.com since fall and haven't found any Irish or Welsh ancestors, some Scottish and German, but so far, no Irish, but I still love corned beef and cabbage, although we had it on January 2nd because we were in Mexico for the holidays and flew back on New Years Day. 

It's a simple enough recipe; corned beef comes sealed in plastic with a seasoning packet. Just place the corned beef brisket in a large, deep pan, add the seasonings, cover with water and cook for about 2 hours. Remove from the pan, trim off the fat if you prefer, quarter the cabbage and steam in the liquid in the pan until tender-crisp and remove. I make corned beef sandwiches with Jewish Rye bread and horseradish, the hotter the better.

Happy New Year!


As for Mexico, we read an article about how English movie titles don't always translate across well: (http://www.virtualvallarta.com/puertovallarta/read/readshopping/whats-in-a-name-anyway.shtml), so the movie title "Grease" is "Vaseline", and "Dumb and Dumber" as "Dos Idiots". 

Speaking of Dos Idiots:




Too many Margaritas, I admit, and later told my honey I don't want to do any more tours where we end the evening dancing to "YMCA" and disco we disliked 30 years ago, as this one did. It was the fiesta at Las Palmas, Puerto Vallarta, the music, food, and entertainment wonderful, until the disco started. They could leave that out. And we recommend Pipi's in town-bucket sized Margaritas and totally great food and service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails